The term ‘Dental implant’ might sound scary and like a painful surgery. However, it is just replacing your teeth and strengthening your gums. A neatly done dental implant with proper oral hygiene can contribute a lot in eradicating your painful teeth issues. Let us understand what it means.
WHAT DOES DENTAL IMPLANT MEAN?
A dental implant is a metal (titanium) frame that is surgically fitted beneath your gums, i.e., on the jawbone. Titanium is chosen as the metal in implant procedure because of its properties like strength and resistance to corrosion. Once the metal has been fitted, the dentist can place the crown (artificial tooth), bridge (a group of artificial teeth), or a complete denture on it.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
In the study of modern dental implants, this process is called ‘Osseointegration.’ The metal fixture forms a strong bond with your jawbone and gums. It needs to be kept for a period ranging from three to six months so that the complete healing of bone and gums is completed. Once this first stage is successful, the dentist can mount the crown or any other dental prosthetic on it. In some cases, an abutment is also placed between the metal fixture and tooth/bridge. This is because the abutment provides additional support and stability to the crown.
TYPES OF IMPLANTS:
- Endosteal Implants: These implants are fused directly into the jawbone itself. After the surrounding gum portion is healed, an abutment can be attached by the ‘augmentation process’ to the implant. Post these two steps, the tooth or crown can be fixed to the abutment individually or as a bridge.
- Subperiosteal Implants: For people having weak jawbone, the metal frame is fitted under the gum tissue, but not on the jawbone. As the gums heal, the metal frame bonds more strongly to the jawbone. Once the metal frame and jawbone are coupled tightly, the crown can be attached to it.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS:
1. It gives more stability to your artificial teeth than the usual tooth replacement procedure.
2. The crown mounted on your implant won’t slip or shift, which is very beneficial while speaking and eating.
3. The individual crown resembles a lot to our natural tooth, and thus no one can spot out the difference.
4. Decaying is never a problem for implants. Also, further loss of bone is prevented by this procedure.
WHY DR. R. SIDHU?
Dr. R. Sidhu Dentistry Inc. has the most talented, qualified, and customer-obsessed group of dentists in all of Surrey. Implants or any other dental procedures can be severe and excruciating. Still, the experience of our dentists combined with the modern surgery & diagnostic equipment can make it feel like a cakewalk to you. Personal attention is paid to each customer walking at our door and this care is maintained even after the procedure is completed. Tips and advice provided by our dentists as well as our flawless dental procedures, make sure that you are never shy of flaunting your smile.
A dental implant is proved to be the best alternative over traditional tooth replacement techniques. Although it is a long process; the stability, strength, and look it provides to your teeth is unmatched. And for this renovation, Dr R. Sidhu Dentistry Inc. is the best place to be in Surrey.